- Delilah tells Addie Ann, Mama, and Uncle Bump the news about the bombing of a church in Birmingham, Alabama that killed four young girls. Mama immediately asks if Addie Ann and Delilah want to help bake some cookies. Why does Mama do this? Do you think sometimes kids are too young to know about scary events in the world? Why or why not?
- Addie Ann lies to Mr. Tate about the letter that she finds on the Tate’s bedroom floor. Why does she lie? What would you have done?
- Mrs. Tate asks Addie Ann to keep the letter a secret. Is it ever okay for an adult to ask a child to keep a secret? If yes, when is it okay and when is it not okay?
- Addie Ann says, “When someone keeps a secret, they’re keeping the truth from getting out. So telling a secret’s like spreading around the truth. What could be wrong with that?” Do you agree or disagree with Addie Ann? Why?
- Mama wants Addie Ann to tell her the secret about Mrs. Tate. Then Mama threatens to give away Flapjack if Addie Ann tells anyone else. Why does Mama react this way? What does Mama’s reaction tell us about her?
16th Street Baptist Church in Birmingham, Alabama
Same church after boming in September, 1963 (ABC News Photo)